When are transactions linked for SDLT?

Home Forums Patrick Cannon When are transactions linked for SDLT?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    When are transactions linked for SDLT? by Patrick Cannon 2Mukhi

Could someone advise me on my position in relations to ‘Linked Transactions’ on the purchase of 4 flats. My wife and I intend to purchase 2 flats each from private vendor. The 2 sets of flats both fall under the ?175k limit. Would this be considered a linked transaction and therefore we would have to pay stamp duty at 3%.

#359 Reply
    When are transactions linked for SDLT? by Patrick Cannon 3Patrick

Looks like you have linked transactions I’m afraid. Your only hope would be to show that each purchase was unrelated and at a price that would have been agreed for a single purchase in the absence of the others but this looks to be unlikely here.

#360 Reply
    When are transactions linked for SDLT? by Patrick Cannon 2Alastair Johnston

At a course I attended last year, we were given an illustration of the linked transactions rules. We were told it had come from Crispin Taylor of HMRC – his hypothetical (I hope!) “Stamp Duty Chocolate Tax”. Relevant extracts:

(1) I go into a shop and buy 2 chocolate bars, each at the price marked on them. The transactions are not linked.

(2) The facts are as in (1) but the shopkeeper gives me a discount for bulk purchase. The transactions are linked.

(3) The facts are as in (1) but there are no prices marked. The shopkeeper takes a good look at me and names a price. The transactions are probably linked.

Unfortunately property purchases are in (3) above, as even if there is an asking price the buyer rarely ends up paying it exactly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: When are transactions linked for SDLT?
Your information: